Rush Hour

Skilled Worker visa

What is Skilled Worker visa?

The Skilled Worker visa replaces Tier 2 (General Work) visa and allows individuals to stay in the UK to do eligible jobs offered by a licensed sponsor. 

Requirements for a Skilled Worker visa

  • You must be offered a job which is on the list of eligible occupations, see here.

  • The employer which offered the job must be a Home Office licensed sponsor

  • The job offer must be a genuine vancacy

  • You will be paid a minimum salary (depends on the type of work you do)

  • You meet the English language requirement (unless except)

  • You must have enough money to support yourself and your family (if any) unless your employer is able to cover your costs during the first month of your arrival:

    • main applicant: £1,270 

    • partner: £285 

    • first child: £315 

    • each additional child: £200 

       The money must be held for at least 28 days before the day of application.

  • You have obtained a criminal record certificate (for particular jobs only)

  • Tuberculosis Test Certificate (if you are from a listed country)

Change your job or taking on additional jobs

Change your job

You need to update your Skilled Worker visa if:

  1. you want to change your job to one with different occupation code

  2. you want to work for different employer

  3. you were doing a job that is on the shortage occupation list, but you want to change to a job that is not on the list


§ Your dependants will also need to update their visa

§ You must not start you new job before the visa has been updated

Take on additional jobs

If you want to take on additional jobs, you must still doing the main job that you are sponsored for.


The additional job you can take up must be:

  • in the same occupation code and at the same level as your main job

  • in a shortage occupation

Maximum hours you can work: 20 hours per week

If you take on an additional job that is more than 20 working hours per week, you need to apply for additional Skilled Worker visa with new sponsorship certificate.


Skilled Worker visa route is a route to settlement. You can apply to settle in the UK permanently (indefinite leave to remain) if the following requirements are met:

  1. You have lived and worked in the UK for 5 years.  You can combine your stay under the following visa to make up the 5 years period:

  • any Tier 1 visa - except Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)

  • Skilled Worker or Tier 2 (General)

  • T2 Minister of Religion or Tier 2 (Minister of Religion)

  • International Sportsperson, T2 Sportsperson or Tier 2 (Sportsperson)

  • Innovator

  • Global Talent

  • Representative of an Overseas Business

 2. You must have spent no more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12 months

 3. You were paid the minimum wage (depends on your occupation)

 4. Your employer (sponsor) can confirm that you will carry on with the job after you get indefinite leave to remain

 5. You meet the English language requirement by having a recognised English qualification with at least level B1 in speaking and listening or a degree taught or researched in English

 6. You have passed the Life in the UK Test

Get in touch with our immigration team today if you need help with your Skilled Worker visa application